13 September 2007

a little perspective

There is a lady who handles all the janitorial work in my building. I assume she takes care of the entire building because I have seen her on every floor I have set foot on - it's a 21 floor building too. She cleans the bathrooms and empties the trash. She is a tiny, Hispanic lady - probably in her late 30s. I have never come across her without seeing the brightest smile, and the most enthusiastic, "How are you today?" And when she asks, she expects a REAL reply.

Many of the times our paths have crossed I have been carrying my bike - either into work or out of. She always gets a really big smile and says, "Hey, it's YOUR bike! What a nice bike!" I can't help but feel happy and proud each time, almost as if I designed and built the bike myself.

Today, as I waited in the lobby for the elevator to take me to the ground floor, this lady came around the corner, needing the same elevator. We exchanged the usual pleasantries. Then she said, "I bring MY bike with me today! I like bikes too. Come see." Once we got off of the elevator, she unlocked a janitorial closet and showed me her dark blue cruiser, complete with bell, headlight, and some nice floral stitching in the seat. I commented on how nice her bike was - and I saw the same pride in her eyes as I feel when she says "nice bike" to me.

I have met few people who exude the happiness and joie de vivre as this woman, and she cleans toilets and empties people's trash.

And that, to me, gives a little perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jeff. That story brightened up my day.