I wasn't sore, just a little sluggish in the legs. Once I hit the road to head to work, I had loosened up a bit - but still could not crank as powerfully as the past few days. By the time I arrived at work, I was feeling as good as any other day, and didn't think about it again until it was time to go home.
Of course today would be the day that I had to battle a constant 10-15 mph headwind, in addition to the 100 degree heat. Honestly, I have not really faced a sunny day on the ride home since I started biking to work. Arizona is in the middle of its "monsoon" season, and the afternoons have typically been overcast for the past 2 weeks. Not today. Bright sun and blue skies, and 100+ degrees. So THIS is why everyone said I was crazy for biking to work in Arizona, in August!
Since I was heading home, and was in no hurry to get anywhere (except to the pool), I didn't worry that my speed was a bit slower than I am used to. I fought the wind for the first 2 or 3 miles, standing up on the pedals to get a little extra power, but eventually I gave in and cruised home from a seated position. While I am used to hitting 100+ miles a week on a road bike during my "training season," I am also used to taking a day or 2 of rest in between rides.I still think going for a run yesterday added quite a bit to the punishment.
All complaining aside, I still don't have to sit through traffic. I still haven't put any gas in my car for the past 3 weeks. I still have an awesome farmer's tan.
I always cringe a bit when I hear a car horn coming from behind me. On the way home today, I hear a quick little "toot" behind me - the kind that is obviously not initiated in rage. A car pulls up along side me and slows down. The guy was trying to simply find a certain road - no worries, I knew exactly where to direct him.
Maybe the world would be a much better place if there were more cyclists on the road to help direct people where to go. Instead of having to stop at a gas station, get out of your car, and go ask an attendant for help - all you would have to do is slow down along side a gal or guy on a bike, and be on your way! Cyclists sure are cool people.
Viva la Velorution!
1 comment:
I always hit a headwind for about a mile when I'm heading home. Instead of standing up, I gear down (If I'm riding my geared bike) and get in an aerodynamic position and spin. Since my commute is pretty flat, I see this as my 'hill training'
Keep on ridin'
Post a Comment